25 September 2010

Adriana and Airplane Food

Let's start by saying they feed you a lot. All of my flights were booked through Air Canada; I'm not sure if this is indicative of some sort of North American diet excess or if it's just that eating is a really good way to kill time during about thirteen hours of flying and nineteen hours of travelling. The same did not apply to alcohol. I had three drinks over the course of ten hours from Vancouver to Seoul and my flight attendant started giving me prudish looks and suggesting I have water (three drinks! ten hours! I'm a nervous flyer, even with the added effects of air travel this doesn't exactly lead to a sloppy drunk). But that last hop with Thai air? They gave you wine with dinner and followed it up with a complimentary whiskey. For a two hour flight! I like them more, even if they don't have little touch screens on the back of every chair.

But let's get this started!

DSCN0342

My first meal I was given a choice between beef with noodles and chicken pasta. I opted for the pasta, I'm not sure why I thought this sounded safer. Both looked questionable at best. Those pickled veggies weren't all bad, though. And chocolate brownie is always a good idea - surprisingly moist. The chicken was not as chalky as I would have expected.

The second meal came only about three and a half hours after the first - this time I opted for the Asian option:

DSCN0344

No dessert! Just fresh fruit, as I ate it I wondered if that nurse at the travel clinic would be mad at me for eating the fresh fruit as I was told not to (seriously, no fresh fruits and veggies my whole time in Asia? I can't wait to break this rule today!). Pork with rice, again the meat was surprisingly tender. Too bad it was in some seriously gummy rice with an overly sweet sauce. Too much salt does not even begin to describe it....

But wait! There's more! Even more!

DSCN0348

This came about two hours after the last meal. You've had Mr. Noodles before, right?

After a couple of hours in the airport in Seoul (in which I consumed a pocari sweat, sort of like gatorade but in a can and not nauseatingly sweet) I got onto my second and final flight to Taipei. As soon as we're at cruising altitude we get fed (for a two hour flight? sweet!).

DSCN0349

They also had a seafood option but I was horrified at the thought of plain seafood. So more pork for me! This was definitely yummier (not that I was at all hungry at this point, but I was bored!) That little coffee cake stuck to my teeth and tasted of generic sugar. Not as sugary as the brownie from my first flight. Also, it came with kimchi. I had one bite but I find it overly spicy. Does anyone have kimchi eating advice? Also, this bun was warm, with hard butter; definitely preferable to the cold bun with whipped butter served on both air Canada flights.

Alas, I forgot to bring my camera down for breakfast at the Holiday Inn this morning, but I will tell you it involved hot dogs, steamed eggs, and miso soup.

And now, Adriana vs. public transit. Wish me luck, maybe I'll stop for a snack on the way...

2 comments:

  1. I really like kimchi. It works well with a small bowl of rice to eat in between bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate how Air Canada gives you chilled bread buns. Why? Why?! I have no idea what kimchi is. I feel like that might be something I repeat over and over as I read about your travels...
    Biggest big hugs to my favourite adventurer!

    ReplyDelete